The Mastuj fort is the oldest of the many forts which were used both for military purposes as well as being the seat of government of the time.
The Mastuj fort was build more then 300 years ago, but due to frequent earthquakes in the area, it was rebuild a couple of times until in 1883 it took the shape of the present fort.
Before partition of the subcontinent it was the seat of the local Kushwaqt tribe which spread from northern Chitral to the territories of Ghizr and Yasin in Gilgit.
Not much is left of the old fort except its seven-feet thick walls of stone put together with wooden struts and plastered with mud. The six watch towers and the two dungeons have all fallen prey to a series of earthquakes. But in the old established gardens of the fort full of walnut, apricot and apple trees are gorgeous wooden chalets. Each one can sleep three and are serviced from a common reception and dining place. Potable spring water flows freely from the attched bathrooms with sunk-in tubs and hydro-electricity supplies the power which is managed by the local village community.
The friendly and hospitable village folks add to making Mastuj Fort a perfect place for a family holiday away from it all.
The fort is part of a farm owned by the Ulmulk family. The meat, poultry and organic vegetables all come from the farm. Mastuj Fort is a child-friendly place where children are encouraged to witness milking of the cows and trotting off with little lambs in a safe environment. Booking of the chalets at Mastuj Fort is done from Hindukush Heights Chitral website, email or telephone contacts.